木曜日, 9月 14, 2006

Devils on the Doorstep

Initially I was upset and disturbed. It was difficult for me to separate my feelings for Japanese culture from my feelings about death and violence (especially the death of the little boy). Ultimately once I started thinking about the film as a metaphor I found I had different thoughts and feelings about this film.

Thematically speaking, I felt that Devils was clearly an anti-war film. There seemed to be a constant dialogue on humanity - whether that was the evil or compassion being displayed. Ultimately, I felt that through the constantly changing roles of villain and victim, we were led to see people as not Chinese or Japanese, but people. This was most clearly illustrated in Dasan Ma's final transformation from compassionate brother to vengeful murderer. I also found that honour was an interesting and ironic theme. Although the Japanese characters in the film spoke of it constantly, it seemed to be the Chinese who acted with the most honour. Yet, even those who had honour, ultimately sacrificed it in anger. This too was seen in Dasan Ma. Through these we were told: violence begets violence, war knows no honour, war knows no innocence.

Symbolically - I found several things to be interesting. I believe that the devils in the title are not the Japanese, or even the Chinese - but unthinkable situations and decisions. I felt that Dasan Ma's situation placed him squarely between two demons, or as we westerners would say, "between a rock and a hard place." Both "Wo"'s namelessness and his facelessness served as a symbol for the anonymity of evil. As long as we see our enemies as faceless, we are severed from their humanity and capable of acting in horrible ways. Also, evil is faceless and named "me", because anyone of us, if pushed far enough is capable of it.

As for good and bad - I believe the shifting roles of the characters in their emotional disposition to their fellow human beings makes that an impossible decision. In fact, I think this film intended to blur the lines between such black and white notions as good and evil. This was ultimately symbolised by the fact that Dasan Ma's dying view was in colour - as in his final moments he saw everyone as the same, not as good and bad, or brother and enemy.

I felt that 'One Stroke Lin's prophecy was fulfilled - and because of that and the colour - that Dasan met his death as the peaceful release from his very immediate suffering. I don't know that we can ultimately understand Hanaya's motives. From a western perspective, I would think he acted dishonourably for taking the life of the man he owed his life to. However, from the perspective of a culture rooted in the way of the samurai, I feel that perhaps he repaid his debt in the best way possible. Since removing of the head was traditionally the duty of the kaishaku (often a close associate or friend) - Hanaya may have felt he was accorded great honour to perform this duty for the man who had saved him.

Comments: コメントを投稿



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?